In order to provide you with the best online experience this website uses cookies. By using our website, you agree to our use of cookies. More Info
Freephone 0800 041 8500 or 01409 220 775 Request Info Call Back


Popular questions

Our helpful tutors and support team are happy to answer any questions you may have about the Animal Care College or our courses. Please call Freephone 0800 041 8500 or 01409 220 775 or contact us.
A list of popular questions are also provided here as a reference guide.

Are Animal Care College courses recognised and accredited?

The Animal Care College’s courses are widely used throughout the pet care sector by leading charity and commercial organisations.
We have worked with many of the major animal care providers and services in Britain including:
  • British Small Animal Veterinary Association
  • British Veterinary Nursing Association
  • Ministry of Defence
  • Battersea Dogs Home
  • Police forces
  • Dogs Trust
  • Pets at Home
  • as well as many veterinary practices and other pet related organisations
Animal Care College courses are structured to support National Vocational Qualifications while providing a useful and stimulating series of studies for all those involved in caring for animals both professionally and as enthusiasts.
Certification is carefully monitored and Awards are highly regarded within the world of small animal care.
Our courses have also been endorsed under the Quality Licence Scheme. This means that the Animal Care College has undergone an external quality check to ensure that the organisation and the courses it offers, meet defined quality criteria.
Quality Licence Scheme have long-established reputations for providing high quality vocational qualifications across a wide range of industries. Quality Licence Scheme combine over 100 years of expertise combined with a responsive, flexible and innovative approach to the needs of our customers.
Quality Licence Scheme endorsement involves robust and rigorous quality audits by external auditors to ensure quality is continually met. A review of courses is carried out as part of the endorsement process.

How can I learn these subjects from home? Do I need to attend college?

The Animal Care College’s courses are ‘open learning packages’, which have been specifically written to help students learn relevant skills from the comfort of their own home – also known as distance learning.
There are no deadlines, so you can learn anywhere and at any time – enjoy your course at a pace that suits you.
Experienced tutors are on hand to support you throughout your course and there is no need for attendance.

How long do the courses take?

We do not set time limits or deadlines so you can learn at your own pace. You are free to study when it suits you and your progress may therefore depend upon how much time you would like to commit to study.
Distance learning is designed to be flexible, but as a guide, students who can spend 4-6 hours a week studying tend to complete a single unit of most of our courses within a month.
Those who have less time to spare can pick up their studies as and when suits them. Those who have more time may wish to put more hours towards their studies.

Do I need any previous experience to enrol on your courses?

Most of our courses are suitable for complete beginners – with the exception of a few courses, which require students to be working in a practice.
Some courses will require students to undertake special/evolution studies or placements as part of their learning – see individual course and career pathway pages for more information.

What are Special Studies?

Some of our courses give students the opportunity to complete and submit a Special Study to their tutor for marking, which will count towards their final grade – these may also be referred to as ‘Case Studies’.
A Special or Case Study is an essay written on a topic of the student's choice that is relevant to the course of study. It can be researched by book study, through personal experience or carrying out a survey among owners or carers, members of a dog training class or the general public.
The choice of topic is wide, but generally they should include an introduction, comments or a report on your findings, and a conclusion (a definite conclusion may not always be possible). It may include illustrations, photographs, graphs or simply text.
Appropriate lengths of special or case studies
  • Level 2 should be approximately 2,500 words
  • Level 3 should be approximately 3,000 words
Completing a Special Study allows you to further increase your knowledge and understanding of the subject in a way that will be useful to you in the future.
For some courses, Special Studies are compulsory, for other courses it is optional. For more information on which courses have Special Studies, visit the individual course pages – details will be included under ‘Course Summary’; for pathways, you can find this information under ‘What you will Learn’.

What are the benefits of the Animal Care College’s distance learning courses?

Our courses fit easily around family, job and other commitments, they are designed to be studied at home, are clear and straightforward and regularly updated.
There are no time limits or deadlines so you can work at your own pace and in your own time.
Major changes came into the animal care sector in 2018 with new statutory requirements for pet shops, boarding kennels and breeders.
Animal Care College courses such as our Working and Caring for Animals in Pet Shops will help you to work within these new requirements.
We are here to help whenever you need us. Tutors can assist you with any queries, either by phone or email and are there to provide prompt expert feedback on your assignments.

How do I enrol?

There are two ways you can enrol on our courses.
  • To enrol by phone, please call Freephone 0800 041 8500 or 01409 220 775 and speak with one of our helpful course advisors
  • To enrol online, please click here

Can I study a course even though I am overseas?

Yes, we accept enrolments from students worldwide. If you are planning to work in the animal care sector overseas, it is advisable to check the criteria demanded by the country you plan to work in (if applicable) as it can differ from country to country.
Students enrolling from overseas are required to pay in one sum and will receive their initial and subsequent course lessons in digital format.

Do you offer any help for those on low incomes?

We offer a ‘pay as you go’ option whereby you can enrol with an initial deposit, followed by instalments which are paid promptly each month or with each assignment submitted, whichever is the sooner.
If you would like to enrol using our ‘pay as you go’ option, please visit our enrolment page.